(An update from the September 2010 Hodgepodge archives, adaptable for any time of the year)
Because it’s the change of seasons…
Because there’s an ever so slight chill in the air…
Because we’ll be hitting the books pretty hard for a week…
Because we’ll then be taking a week off for field trips and fun…
And simply because I love the crock pot…
This menu plan is dedicated to the crock pot. The glory of slow cooking. The toss-the-ingredients-in-the pot, turn-it-on-and-walk-away version.
Four weeks worth of the crock pot every day. Maybe a couple repeats but mostly slow cooker suppers with a few breakfasts thrown in there:
- Batching Cooking in the Slow Cooker: The Super Supper Saver: after grocery store visits I cook large amounts of chicken or g. turkey in the crock pot so that the main ingredient for weeknight meals is ready, already cooked, in the freezer
- Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken at $5 Dinners
- Slow Cooker Cube Steak my recipe at $5 Dinners
- Potato Soup – crock pot version
- Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese. My recipe at $5 Dinners
- Crock Pot Chicken and Cornbread Dumplings by $5 Dinners
- Crock Pot Pizza by Taste of Home
- Crock Pot Chili and Hot Dogs (Shelby’s chili mix – pull cooked ground turkey from freezer)
- Crockpot Cranberry Chicken by Hillbilly Housewife
- Crock Pot Oatmeal by Southern Plate – (For Supper- Sharon’s Hamburger Vegetable Soup over Mashed Potatoes)
- Crock Pot Applesauce, sandwiches on homemade whole wheat bread (For Supper – recipe from Southern Plate’s 10 favorite quick and easy suppers)
- Crock Pot King Ranch Chicken by Southern Living
- Beans and Cornbread, veggies (made beans in the crock pot- pull from freezer)
- Crock Pot Grits
- Even more crock pot ideas in Fast Food for Slow Sundays
Stand by: knowing the hectic will happen, I can pull these from the freezer
Eggplant Casserole (from Triple Hit Eggplant)
- with all that great crockery we will be blessed with leftovers
- grilled quesadillas
- Pimento cheese or Sunbutter sandwiches
- Nibble trays from Back to Basics: The Lunch Lady
Cooking Fun: (more ideas for cooking with children here)
- Triple batch Buttermilk Biscuits from Menus for Moms (using buttermilk substitute)
- Sunbutter button cookies
Wonderful smells filling our home. Plenty of time to get stuff done and have lots of fun!
“As a child my family’s menu consisted of two choices – take it or leave it.” ~ Buddy Hackett
We all loved the first round of crock pot celebrations so much, I decided we’d do it again. Plus, we are:
- coming up on an annual Big Cook
- already practicing for several Christmas performances
- celebrating two birthdays in November, plus Thanksgiving!
So simple meals will be a blessing. Today, I’m doing some big shop cooking in the crock pot. Cooking rounds of ground turkey to be ready for some of these recipes.
I polled the Hodgepodge audience for requests. So I’ll start with those. A few repeats from last time and a few new finds:
- Hot dogs – a request for youngest girl’s birthday supper (talk about simple! we’ll put them in the crock pot with some chili).
- Crock Pot Hamburger Patties by Year of Slow Cooking – this recipe shows you how to make a tiny grill out of aluminum foil! Eldest boy requested burgers.
- Crockpot Cranberry Chicken by Hillbilly Housewife (eldest girl’s request)
- Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese (middle girl’s request)
- Crock Pot Chicken and Cornbread Dumplings by $5 Dinners (Hodgepodgedad’s request)
- Crock Pot Spinach Lasagna from Menus for Moms – a family favorite
- Crock Pot Manwich Chicken sandwiches – a new, made-up meal
- Crock Pot Chicken Stroganoff
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken and Rice by Southern Plate
- Crock Pot King Ranch Chicken by Southern Living
- Simple Slow Cooker Meals by Southern Living – I’ll pick a couple more from here
- Slow Cooker Ultimate Breakfast Casserole by Year of Slow Cooking – breakfast for supper!
- Connie’s Mexican Mess from $5 Dinners contributing writer
- Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes from Taste of Home
- maybe Meatball Subs – toss those meatballs in the crock pot with some sauce
- Slow Cooker Cube Steak at $5 Dinners - really pleases those meat and potato types
- another selection from Fast food for Slow Sundays
- Pizza x 2 on Friday nights
- We had Crock Pot Pizza by Taste of Home tonight and it was a big hit!
A few more ideas plus planning ahead:
The coffee milk punch looks really good from the November Southern Living recipes. There’s also a full list of sides as well as a Thanksgiving planner.
Coming up, I’ll be posting details on plans for a Big Cook. We’re giving food for Christmas! Plus the children will be busy with teacher gifts and more that day.
The plan is still to use last year’s Thanksgiving menu. I’m already getting some canned ingredients to be ready. We’ll do an overnight turkey again as well as the crock pot dressing. See Thanksgiving Tips I’m Thankful For.
Cooking Fun – rolling the children into the mix:
- Youngest girl is having a Milk and Cookies birthday party. With allergies we can’t be having just any ol’ store bought cookies. So we’ll be making another double batch of our favorite, homemade oatmeal flax chocolate chip cookies…
- a batch of Pimento Cheese
- plus there will be plenty of opportunity to join in on making recipes for the big cook, especially our favorite Italian Stuffed Shells, Batch Cooking style
- and maybe I’ll put a different older child in charge of filling the crock pot each night
There you have it! What’s your favorite crock pot recipe?