What a wonderful afternoon we had making heart collages! Nana was fresh from a class with Ann Cockerill of The Red Cockerill Gallery. So, she taught us how to make a heart in the same spirit. See, in her heart collage, how the acrylics emphasize the heart, the words and the border?
There are so many possibilities with this art work. Nana’s collage was made with pieces of copied sheets of music, red tissue paper, words and Valentines. For ours, we pulled from the craft supplies we had. We didn’t have any tissue paper on hand. But we did have new construction paper we’d just purchased for making Valentines. And, I found a big bag full of scrapbook paper cubes.
For this project you will need:
- 5×7 canvas (this is what we used. You could also use card stock or a larger canvas, as Nana did)
- tissue paper, construction paper, scrapbook paper, copied sheets of music, Valentines etc.
- modgepodge (we made a homemade version of glue mixed with water – no certain amounts)
- acrylics (we used purple and blue)
- paper towels for blotting
- smocks to cover clothing (old kitchen hand towels work well too!)
So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I’m bankrupt without love.
To make the modgepodge, Nana mixed water with about two tablespoons of glue. No certain amounts. Mixing it in the center of a palette. We dipped our brushes and painted the homemade modgepodge over our patchwork.
Love never gives up.
Love…Trusts God always, always looks for the best.
By six-year-old and 14-year-old
Trust steadily in God, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly. And the best of the three is love.
- A note on acrylics: Just like pastels, acrylics will wash off your hands easily. But if the paint gets on any fabric – it is permanent! We wear a smock and cover our painting surface.
- Supplies needed: All details on paint, brushes, canvases and palettes are listed in Acrylics Plus Links to Tutorials.
- Print this lesson: Just click the green, ‘print-friendly’ button at the top, left of this post. You can choose to print the lesson with or without photos. By clicking the ‘remove photos’ box, you may print the text directions only.
- Looking for more free art lessons? All of Nana’s tutorials are contained in Pastels Plus Links to Tutorials (over 35) and Acrylics Plus Links to Tutorials
A fun afternoon. 1 Corinthians 13. Love makes the heart sing!