I am so excited to be participating in a wonderful link up all about the upcoming Great American Backyard Campout this Saturday, June 23rd. Today’s participants will encourage you in many ways. Be sure to visit all the sites listed at the end of this post to inspire you to have fun camping with your children in the backyard!
This will be our first time to participate in the Great American Backyard Campout. And because this is our first time, we are starting low key.
My focus is on camping food. Simple backyard campout recipes. Since we are camping in our backyard, I plan to use the microwave and slow cooker. Being the practical girl I am, I lean very heavily on recipes with a short list of ingredients. But, don’t worry. For those of you that would like to grill or cook over a fire, there are plenty of Pinteresting ideas on our group Camping with Kids Pinterest board.
Hodgepodge Camping Meal Plan:
- Supper: Slow Cooker Barbeque Chicken (2 ingredients!), chips, watermelon
- Snacks/Dessert: S’moreos, grahamwiches and/or cookies from the freezer (because who can possibly decide?)
- Breakfast: Overnight Slow Cooker Grits, Morning Bars (made the day before)
- Pimento cheese sandwiches (when I camped with my grandmother, we always just kept it simple with sandwiches. And these have an allergy-friendly twist.) Plus, those leftover pimento jars are perfect for catching lightning bugs.
- Slow Cooker Love Pinterest board (because, if you are camping in your backyard, why not use the slow cooker? You can even have a really nice meal and eat on paper plates)
- Tin foil dinners
- Frito chili pie
- simple pigs in a blanket
- SunButter No-Bake Energy Bites (made a day or two before – you can even pull from the freezer. For those without nut allergies you can make with peanut butter.)
- Campfire Cones
- 4 ingredient slow cooker chocolate chip brownie cake
- mini s’mores
Camping Breakfast Recipes:
- Simple single-serving boxes of cereal all tied up with a plastic spoon – help yourself!
- Rise and Shine Breakfast Pinterest Board packed with yummy ideas
- Overnight Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Steel- Cut Oatmeal
- Cinnamon sugar monkey bread
- Campfire muffins
- A backyard campout party! at My Recipes
- bleach pen t-shirts – maybe draw a tent?
- lemonade stand – the neighbors might need some refreshment
- an indoor campfire and more camping inside ideas (in case the weather or the mosquitoes drive you inside)
- Handbook of Nature Study Summer Photo Challenge
Bonus Backyard Campout Fun:
- Many grill/campfire meal ideas and much more on our Camping with Kids Pinterest board. All of our link up participants have been pinning to this board!
- Seven days of camping recipes at One Sweet Appetite.
- Feel free to browse the Hodgepodge recipe index.
- Adventure Tykes – Melissa
- Go Explore Nature – Debi
- Handbook of Nature Study – Barb
- Spell Outloud – Maureen
- Tales of a Mountain Mama – Amelia
Are you planning on getting outside and participating this weekend? What are your favorite, easy camping recipes?