Chances are you have an Angry Birds fan at your house. We have several here at Hodgepodge! Our youngest has a collection of the stuffed Angry Birds plush toys as well. They often come flying across the room unexpectedly. So, with Nana’s help, we decided to make some fly across the page with chalk pastels.
We perched Lil’ Buddy’s birds on the chalk storage box so we could study their shape. You can pick your favorite Angry Bird or sketch several like we did.
Nana sketched the basic shapes for Lil Buddy just as she has shown us in How to Start Art with Young Children. He had the basic shape to begin with, color and ‘fist in’ (blend the colors). See how simple it is to show the Angry Bird shape and draw a simple beak?
For the background, the children decided to perch their birds on a wire. That made it fun to blend in a sky blue background. We also thought that the wire we perched our birds on could actually be a branch from a tree. Just so the Angry Birds wouldn’t be floating in the picture.
- How Hodgepodgedad uses Angry Birds to teach physics
- More on facial expressions with chalk pastels in our FIAR Lentil art lesson. Art in five minutes!
- A note on chalk pastels: Pastels are an easy, forgiving medium. Fun for children and adults alike! Details on the pastels and paper we use, how and where to purchase, and links to all of Nana’s other pastel lessons (50 free lessons now) are all contained in the post Pastels plus links to tutorials. A simple set is very affordable. Nana also teaches acrylic lessons.
- The practical aspects of a mess: Pastels are blessedly messy. We always have baby wipes close by to wipe hands. We wear something we don’t mind getting stained or don a smock.
- Encouragement: How to Start Art with Little Ones and How to Add in the Joy of Art.
~I invite you to subscribe to Hodgepodge (it’s free!) Don’t miss any art lessons!
- Just add chalk pastels and paper for a whole year of tutorials! A Simple Start in Chalk Pastels.The only thing missing is the Angry Birds music. I’m sure you have it going in your head now like it do! Click to leave a comment…