Chances are you have an Angry Birds fan at your house. We have several here at Hodgepodge! Our youngest has a collection of the stuffed Angry Birds plush toys as well. They often come flying across the room unexpectedly. So, with Nana’s help, we decided to make some fly across the page with chalk pastels.
We perched Lil’ Buddy’s birds on the chalk storage box so we could study their shape. You can pick your favorite Angry Bird or sketch several like we did.
You might think that all Angry Birds are sort of round. Not the case, as Nana and Middle Girl show you in this start of a chalk sketch. One is definitely triangular.
Nana sketched the basic shapes for Lil Buddy just as she has shown us in How to Start Art with Young Children. He had the basic shape to begin with, color and ‘fist in’ (blend the colors). See how simple it is to show the Angry Bird shape and draw a simple beak?
The eyebrows, of course, are an important part of making your bird look angry! It’s fun to create facial expressions with chalk pastels.
For the background, the children decided to perch their birds on a wire. That made it fun to blend in a sky blue background. We also thought that the wire we perched our birds on could actually be a branch from a tree. Just so the Angry Birds wouldn’t be floating in the picture.
Make your own Angry Bird! Have fun!
All our finished Angry Birds art! 1. Angry birds art in action | 2. Nana’s angry birds | 3. By 10-year-old | 4. by four-year-old with basic shape sketched by Nana.
- How Hodgepodgedad uses Angry Birds to teach physics 🙂
- More on facial expressions with chalk pastels in our FIAR Lentil art lesson. Art in five minutes!
Featuring You! You ARE an Artist!
So, paint your Angry Birds picture and be sure to share with us! Simply tag @hodgepodgemom on social media, send a photo via the Hodgepodge contact form here or post on the Hodgepodge Facebook page. We will be sharing these via the Hodgepodge instagram or on our Art Tutorials Showcase Pinterest board – or both! Nana will even comment on a few I am sure!
Free eBook and More!
- Get your FREE ebook (with a coupon)! Getting Started in Chalk Pastel Art.
- See how you can get started in just three steps! Watch the one minute You ARE an Artist video at chalkpastel.com.
- A note on chalk pastels: Pastels are an easy, forgiving medium. Fun for children and adults alike! Details on the pastels and paper we use, how and where to purchase are in our series, Chalk Pastels 101. A simple set of chalk pastels is very affordable. Nana also teaches acrylic lessons.
- The practical aspects of a mess: Pastels are blessedly messy. We always have baby wipes close by to wipe hands. We wear something we don’t mind getting stained or don a smock.
- Be sure to subscribe to our Hodgepodge YouTube channel for free video art tutorials!
Have you subscribed to Hodgepodge so you won’t miss any free art tutorials?
The only thing missing is the Angry Birds music. I’m sure you have it going in your head now like it do! Click to leave a comment…