Tis the season for baking Christmas cookies! Christmas cookies are an art form, wouldn’t you agree? So, we wondered what type of Christmas cookies you love to bake and decorate. Some of our favorites are Christmas stars, trees, cookies shaped like ornaments and candy canes. There are always plenty of sprinkles. Maybe you like icing…
Favorite Christmas Cookies Art Tutorial
You can use a paper plate or a regular plate to trace around and make your plate just so. Or feel free to paint your plate free hand. You are the artist! Remember that when you cut out Christmas sugar cookies, that first you bake them. So use a darker yellow to draw the outline of your cookie shapes.
After they are baked, some cookies might be more ‘done’ than others. Definitely each will be unique in their amount of sprinkles. And likely there will be a few sprinkles on your plate as well. Remember to add a bit of painterly effect around your plate. It must be sitting on something!
We’ll also be making our very favorite Christmas sugar cookies recipe soon too!
Giveaway of Dover Publications Color and Bake Cookies book plus five more resources for Christmas, winter and more at The Curriculum Choice.
A Simple Start in Christmas Chalk Pastels – 10 tutorials to take you through Christmas – including a gingerbread man – for only $4.99!
More Christmas Art in A Simple Start in Christmas Chalk Pastels!
- See how you can get started in just three steps! Watch the one minute You ARE an Artist video at Southern Hodgepodge.
- A note on chalk pastels: Pastels are an easy, forgiving medium. Fun for children and adults alike! Details on the pastels and paper we use, how and where to purchase, and links to all of Nana’s other pastel lessons (100+ free lessons now) are all contained in the post Pastels plus links to tutorials plus the video The Very Few Must Have Supplies for Chalk Pastel Art. A simple set is very affordable. Nana also teaches acrylic lessons.
- The practical aspects of a mess: Pastels are blessedly messy. We always have baby wipes close by to wipe hands. We wear something we don’t mind getting stained or don a smock.
- Encouragement: You Can Be an Artist! 10 Day series and Art for All Ages 10 Day series
- Be sure to subscribe to our Hodgepodge YouTube channel for free video art tutorials!
You can make as many of these cookies as you’d like – they are calorie and gluten free even. Plus pile on the sprinkles! What are YOUR favorites? Which Christmas cookies will you make?