~Don’t miss the giveaway at the end!~
I’ve shared before about the books that have shaped my heart for homeschooling. Oh how I wish I’d had Marcia Somerville’s Love the Journey- Homeschooling: Principles to Practices when I started my journey. But I am very thankful I’ve had it at the top of my stack of books on my coffee table these first weeks of summer!
Love the Journey is written to both new homeschoolers and veterans alike. As a veteran homeschooler I have so very much appreciated Marcia’s wisdom. And reading this book right here in the month of June has been perfect timing. I highly recommend you getting your own copy and reading it right now too! My homeschooling and mama heart has been blessed right here while wrapping up a school year and starting in to planning another. This is a book to reference – read once and then pull out again for a boost.
I received a copy of Love the Journey in exchange for an honest review. So now I get to tell you how much I love it! All opinions expressed are my own. Please see our disclosure policy. (Plus, don’t miss my review of the new Tapestry of Grace Primer at The Curriculum Choice today!)
As I was reading Love the Journey I was scribbling, making notes, writing and answering questions. Because this book is not only about learning the principles of homeschooling. It is a way of honing your homeschool purpose, making a family mission statement and being purposeful in your journey. There are questions for you to answer in writing, lists to make. It is practical and purposeful!
- Explore your goals as a homeschooler (surely helps me redefine and hone my goals!)
- Develop a path for homeschooling
- Soak up seasoned and practical advice for the day to day raising and teaching of children
- Learn about all that homeschool language – common terms defined
- Face your homeschool fears – Love the Journey assures you that you are the expert teacher
And it is not just for Tapestry of Grace users. This book is written to all homeschooling parents.
Love the Journey Contents
Section 1: Your Homeschool is YOUR Homeschool!
- 1. Why Do YOU Homeschool?
- 2. Do You Have a Guiding Star?
- 3. Clarifying the Ends We Have in Mind
- 4. Developing Your Pedagogy
Section 2: Mountaintop Views
- 5. You Share Who You Are
- 6. Keep Your Heart
- 7. Cross-Eyed Parenting
- 8. Training in Liberty
- 9. More Isn’t Always Better
- 10. Who Are Your Best Friends?
Section 3: When You Sit At Home
- 11. The Husband Suitable for You
- 12. Keeping a Quiet Home
- 13. Schedules and Structure
- 14. A Time to Plan
- 15. Looking Far (Why We Don’t Need Classrooms)
- 16. What to do with Preschoolers?
- 17. Face Time
- 18. Managing Chores
- 19. Questions, Categories, and Consequences
Section 4: As You Walk Along the Way
- 20. Gender Differences
- 21. Why Modalities Matter
- 22. Lesson Planning with Modalities in Mind
- 23. Tell Me the Story Again!
- 24. Useful Categories to Know When Considering Curricula
- 25. When Trudging is Called For
- 26. Choices, Choices
- 27. What About Memory Work?
- 28. Why Do Crafts?
Section 5: When You Lie Down & When You Rise Up
- 29. It’s About Commitment
- 30. Love is Patient
- 31. Love is Kind
- 32. Love Does Not Envy
- 33. Cultivating an Attitude of Gratitude
Love the Journey Free Samples
Where Can You Get a Copy of Love the Journey?
Love the Journey is both a stand alone book and a vital part of the new Tapestry Primer curriculum for kindergarten and first grade. You can order your copy of Love the Journey from Lampstand Press in paperback, digital download (using LockLizard), and a print/digital combination pack.
I invite you to read my full review of Tapestry Primer at The Curriculum Choice.
Love the Journey is a book now at the top of my Shape Your Heart for Homeschooling stack. One I will return to again and again in the summers in between school years. When I need some encouragement from a mentor. When I need to be reminded of my goals and purpose.
I encourage you, fellow homeschool mamas, to shape your heart for homeschooling with wonderfully encouraging books like Love the Journey. I am a big advocate for continuing education for mom. As a teacher, as a parent. And this book speaks to both roles.
When you have your own copy, I bet yours will be as dog-eared and bookmarked as mine!
Discount Code for Hodgepodge Readers!
Use code LTJ14HP for 25% off your purchase of Love the Journey – either hard copy or digital version through June 30, 2014.
Now for the Givewaway!
Tapestry of Grace is offering one (1) copy of Love the Journey by Marcia Somerville to one blessed Hodgepodge reader. And if you do not win this copy – be sure to get your copy with the discount code above by June 30th! Simply follow the instructions in the rafflecopter widget below…
Is it possible to love the journey? Absolutely.