I hear you big time about ONE MORE THING to add to your life. I ordered the Trim Healthy Mama book and put off reading it when it came in the mail – simply because it was just so big! The book sat beside me on the end table by the couch. But when I did start reading it, I tried to hone in on what would work for me. That is what I am sharing with you today. Those simple adjustments that were easy to roll into the Hodgepodge lifestyle.
To recap this series… I went gluten free last June out of desperation. I have been plagued with inflammatory arthritis for decades. I realized finally – that I was so very careful with my children’s allergies – could it be possible food was causing my trouble too? Fast forward to November last year, still not losing weight or feeling tip top was the ‘final straw’ that made me go ahead and start the Trim Healthy Mama diet the week before Thanksgiving (yes, really). Each of the steps of this journey are linked at the bottom of this post.
(The information I share here is by no means medical advice. Just simple, practical encouragement and sharing of how thrilled I am to find what works for me. Some links are affiliate links to products we have grown to love and truly depend on. Plus, if you purchase through our links, a small portion goes to keep our homeschool and the Hodgepodge site running. See our disclosure policy. )
I have been on the Trim Healthy Mama diet since November 2013 and lost 22+ pounds. For the most part I am grain free. I also quit coffee because I saw the same type of inflammatory reaction in my joints – after changing my eating habits. I feel SO much better!
Trim Healthy Mama, the Book
Now I am not going to explain the contents of Trim Healthy Mama. But I am going to share some simple menu ideas. From what I understand, Trim Healthy Mama can be compared to the Atkins diet. Low carb, high protein. This book contains details on the types of meals you can eat, lengthy descriptions and examples. Plus these two sisters have different approaches for themselves and their families. There is also a section on hormones, intimacy as well as exercise. Trim Healthy Mama is just a whole lifestyle approach shared by Christian women.
As you know, I am not big on sharing photos of myself here at Hodgepodge. But what would a Trim Healthy Mama post be without a before and after photo? Now remember, I have not said that I am a skinny mini. The very best thing about this lifestyle adjustment is I am rid of inflammation, I feel so much better, am healthier and have more energy. But it sure is great to drop a bunch of pounds too!
(Ok, I feel like I’m in one of those cheesy before and after diet commercials…) October 2012 and March 2014 wearing the same shirt but different jeans – after five children and decades of inflammatory problems. But the weight loss occurred between November 2013 and February 2014 – about 3-4 months.
Benefits I Have Seen from Trim Healthy Mama:
- I am not hungry.
- My sugar levels are even. Before I would desperately need a mid-morning snack.
- Afternoon naps are an occasional treat rather than a 10 minute daily necessity to make it through supper and evening.
- I feel so much better.
- I sleep longer (I no longer get up at 5 a.m. because I am achy)
- Did I say I feel so much better?
- The best part? I am currently down 22 lbs. Down two sizes in my jeans. I need new church clothes so they will fit and I will look like I have lost weight.
Sample Hodgepodge Style Trim Healthy Mama (THM) Menu
I haven’t varied my diet a whole lot since I picked out these basics. I need to sit down with the THM book again. But, I have continued on with my batch cooking habit. Cooking batches of meat in the slow cooker (<– free ebook) to make it easy and simple for weeknight meals for the whole family.
Trim Healthy Mama Breakfasts
- Two scrambled eggs (can have three) with a T of cream cheese for fat – maybe some turkey bacon
- oatmeal with berries
- Trim, Healthy Mama Pancakes
- A meat (hamburger patty without a bun, turkey meat, chicken), a big salad with Ranch dressing (see the protein and then a little bit of fat?)
- tuna salad with mayo
- modified waldorf salad – two big scoops of cottage cheese and a whole apple cut up.
- sweet potato with butter, cottage cheese and/or salad
Trim Healthy Mama Suppers
As pictured above (and of course, these work for lunches too)
- taco salad
- hot dogs (no bun) with chili
- salmon loaf (Mamaw’s recipe without bread, eggs)
- Any of the Simple Two Ingredient Slow Cooker Meals with cream cheese, BBQ sauce, etc.
- I will have the chicken we are all having and a sweet potato with butter.
- When we have spaghetti – I save myself out some of the ground turkey before it goes in the spaghetti sauce. I maybe add some avocado, some spinach greens or something to make a salad of it. No noodles for me, even if they are gluten free.
Trim Healthy Mama Snacks/Desserts
- cake in a mug
- Cup of PG Tips Tea with real whipping cream and Truvia.
- Greek Yogurt Swirl (I have renamed this Chocolate Ganache to make it sound like more of a treat). A bed time snack of plain, Greek yogurt with a T of cocoa and two packets of Truvia mixed in and a sprinkle of dark chocolate chips. (Sort of like this pin.)
Trim Healthy Mama Eating Out
- The Moe’s Earmuffs (main ingredients in a bowl without a tortilla). No rice but black beans, chicken, lettuce, guacamole, sour cream. NO corn chips. That’s kind of tough but the guacamole makes up for it.
- Chick-fil-a grilled nuggets! (Also, my friend Jenny says that you can ask for the ingredients of the breakfast burrito in a bowl – without the tortilla)
- Longhorn (we had a gift certificate and celebrated my husband’s birthday) steak filet and sweet potato with butter.
This is me – cheating. These are my own, personal allowances (not suggested in Trim Healthy Mama) because a girl has to have something to look forward to. I’m sharing these because I have had these treats in small amounts and still lost weight. Small amounts – not hog wild.
- Sometimes in the afternoon about 3 pm (at the proper distance between meals), I have one scoop of ice cream and a sprinkle of chocolate chips with the children. This is NOT on THM but I have continued to lose weight doing this.
- On Friday nights I allow myself a real, fountain Dr. Pepper. I also have some sort of ice cream treat OR a small candy bar.
I would probably lose weight faster if I cut that out. But…
I love my blue shoes… I love my blue shoes (sung in the style of Pete the Cat). We are going on family walks more now that we have more light in the evenings. Plus, as I mentioned in my Healthy Mama: Gluten Free Living, I can now walk greater distances. This walking for fitness is a thing again. And it is such a gift!! Freedom, I tell ya.
*Update – when the weather is not the best I also love the Walk At Home app or membership.
I am so very grateful to the Trim Healthy Mama authors for investing the time in others! And once again I thank my high school friend Jenny for telling me about this book. Now I am on a journey with a hand full of fellow homeschool mamas in my church and homeschool circle.
- So – basically no grains. Some oatmeal for breakfast now and then. NO chips (those are my downfall). No tortilla chips. No cereal. No gluten free replacement products really. Just protein – eggs, meat and lots of veggies. Fruits you can have with a protein. You can have nuts but we don’t have those around here.
- It’s all about protein and a pat of fat to balance blood sugar and keep your metabolism going.
- I watch portions carefully. It’s easy to heap out a big hunk of Greek yogurt. But 1/2 cup to a cup is more than enough. And very filling.
- (I still have gf waffles, nuggets, etc on hand for the children. The authors point out that children are still growing and have massive metabolisms and need bread, rolls, bananas (bananas are a no no)
Where Can You Find Trim Healthy Mama?
You can get Trim Healthy Mama either a Kindle version or a paperback book version. I wanted the paperback so I could hold it in my hand, turn down the corners of pages and pick it up and read it whenever. Take it to the kitchen to make a cake in a mug.
Hodgepodge Healthy Mama Pinterest board
- Healthy Mama Journey Update
- Healthy Mama Hodgepodge: Gluten Free Living
- Getting started gluten free list (family friendly style)
- Quitting coffee after all these years <— I know you are saying ‘what?’
- Trim Healthy Mama, Hodgepodge style
- A Day in the Life with Essential Oils
- 100+ Every Day Uses for Essential Oils
Maybe I will share now and then about the continuing education of the healthy mama lifestyle. But I just had to tell you about my new-found freedoms. How about you – do you have some successes to share?