Are chalk pastels for all ages? For all artists? Yes they are! Wondering how? Let us show you.
Chalk pastels are a unique art medium. Younger artists find chalk familiar and fun. Budding artists that are upper elementary aged and older, find such freedom in independent time with chalk tutorials and creating what they please. Artists with much more practice still find chalk pastels challenging because of all the layering and ‘painting of light’ they can do. The possibilities are endless.
So let’s share a few examples of chalk pastels for artists of all ages: little ones, independent artists plus examples of experienced artists. First, the youngest artists…
Chalk Pastels for Little Ones
We started our youngest out with chalk pastels at about 18 months. That was because the older ones were learning from Nana and he was so ready to participate. We would prepare a spot for him – a piece of paper and some pastel sticks. We invited him to join in as long as he liked to. Always with baby wipes close by for easy clean up!
- We do not require much of the youngest ones and make it only fun. Maybe we draw off the basic shape for the littlest ones and let them blend in the beautiful color. Or just offer a few colors for the child to draw whatever he/she would like. Draw something from a favorite book!
- The idea is to build a wonderful habit of enjoying art. This art time with our youngest may even be less than 5-10 minutes. Then, as months and years go by, you can build on the basic love and joy and add the learning and the technique.
- Adjustments for the smallest in your art party: One time we did an art lesson late in the day when Nana stopped by after work one afternoon. Littlest Boy was having a particularly hard time and fell asleep. Normally, I would help sketch out some basic shapes for him. He loves to fill in and blend.
- Pick the time of day best for you and your children: So, the next morning, that’s just what I did. And he had the best time! So, you may need to find what works best for your age range. Normally, we all enjoy a chalk pastel together at once, around the table. Youngest ones may finish early and scoot down from the table. And that’s ok.
We invite you to read more on Nana’s specific advice for How to Start Art with Young Children
Chalk Pastels for Older Children – Independent Art Time
An older, budding artist may want to use a tutorial book independently like Susan’s children do with a laptop or tablet.
“As an art teacher and the owner of Harmony Fine Arts, I appreciate the simple beauty of the new chalk pastel book from Nana and Tricia. The clear tutorials make each lesson easy to accomplish with stunning results from even the youngest of artists. Even for older students, the tutorials teach valuable skills and techniques which can be applied to any chalk pastel project. I love the sprinkling of recipes and the photos that share the closeness this family has achieved by simply pulling out art supplies at the kitchen table, learning together side by side with their beloved Nana. Thank you for the wonderful gift of an ebook that can inspire and nurture a love of art in all of us.” ~ Barb McCoy – Owner Harmony Fine Arts
Chalk Pastels for All Ages
Take us for example. We have five children with an age span of ten years. When we started in chalk pastels, our youngest was just under two and our eldest was 12. We’ve grown with chalk pastels. Both with our practice time with art and in how we use them as our children grow. We’ve even gone back to revisit tutorials to see how our art skills have improved!
Nana continues to take classes in chalk pastels, always learning. She says, “This medium is so wonderful because each time you pick up a stick of pastel – if you are quiet for a moment – you can hear it whisper to you! It whispers as it glides over your drawing paper, it whispers as you twirl it around in a quick circle to paint an apple…it has always had that particular siren call to me as an artist. I have never quit learning or taking lessons so I can keep hearing that whisper!”
Five Days of Chalk Pastel 101
(links will be live as each post publishes)
- You ARE an Artist: Chalk Pastel Art 101
- You ARE an Artist: How to Get Started
- You ARE an Artist: Chalk Pastel Supplies
- You ARE an Artist: Chalk Pastels for All Ages
- Chalk Pastel Art Frequently Asked Questions
Congratulate yourself! You are growing a love for art, practicing, building a habit. Let your littlest ones do as much or as little as they enjoy – then praise them for their creations! Young children will notice your love. And older children are wonderful examples as well.