In our homeschool we are pressing on. There are a few subjects we have finished. And the calendar is filled with end of the year programs, practices and celebrations. We are pressing on because in just a few short weeks it will be summer break.
We are pressing on because in a few short weeks, at the end of this homeschool year and in planning for the next: I will have a second grader, a fourth grader, an eighth grader and both a high school junior and a senior!
…I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3: 13-14
Just how are we pressing on in our homeschool? Here are some snapshots from our week…
Pressing On with Homeschooling Young Ones
1. I shared my elementary students’ review of Apologia’s Land Animals of the Sixth Day earlier this week. We have all learned so much! | 2. Diligence with handwriting. | 3. this boy loves to vacuum. | 4. When I was wondering why third grader had stepped away from her Teaching Textbooks, I found this typed note.
Sometimes handwriting can be hard. But we need the practice so we press on. Practicing every day. Pressing on toward the goal of that beautiful border sheet or learning to write a name in cursive.
Third grader has finished spelling for the year! And third and first grader only have roughly a week of math left. Soon we will finish up Apologia Land Animals and next week we will celebrate with a trip to Zoo Atlanta with our family passes. Also next week, third grader will take her first, required standardized test.
Pressing On Homeschooling Middle School
1. On the trail again! (Our favorite Silver Comet Trail) | 2. Off to drama troupe with Middle Girl | 3. Family selfie | 4. Because sometimes you just have to appreciate straightened shoes (arranged by Middle Girl who is a mighty talented organizer)
I cannot believe I have a rising eighth grader. Next year is a continuation of practice time for high school studies. Meanwhile she presses on towards the goal of several extracurricular activities – piano recital and drama troupe. And she is pressing on in all her other subjects too.
Pressing On Homeschooling High School
1. Our high school son is absolutely loving Apologia Chemistry! | 2. Lots of reading for Tapestry of Grace and just in general for prep for the SAT | 3. It’s the latest volume of the Learn Math Fast System – “The Mystery of Geometry is about to be solved!” from J.K. Mergens at LearnMathFastBooks.com (Review, giveaway and discount code coming next week at The Curriculum Choice – You can read more there in a guest post by J.K. Mergens, Why Can’t My Child Learn Multiplication?) | 4. And next fall our then senior student will be taking the ACT. So she has been using ACE the ACT by REA Test Prep (more coming on that next week as well – with a giveaway at The Curriculum Choice).
There has been a great deal of reading going on with our high schoolers. And the week of rain we had has actually helped with that. We’ve also decided we shall press on in earnest with our Science Saturdays with Hodgepodgedad. Because it is just more fun that way and the whole family joins in. It is easy going since there aren’t other subjects to work on. Sort of like Declaring a Homeschool Extras Day.
We’ve signed our rising senior up for the SAT. We are visiting our first college very soon. Things are moving quickly!
Pressing On – Homeschool Mama Too
1. Jane Austen movie night! “Thank the Lord for that!” ~ Mrs. Bennett, Pride & Prejudice. I shared about how us homeschool moms do this now and then for the sheer delight of it – and we don’t even talk homeschooling – at Real Refreshment Retreats. | 2. Taking a little walk around the yard – the time of year when purple irises line the front walk. | 3. I just love asparagus. You? | 4. Azaleas at Mama Ann’s house. I got to stop by and visit with her when I was out all by myself last Saturday. What a treat! And she showed me all that was blooming and growing in her yard (my purple irises and many other beauties are from her yard!)
Did you miss these?
- Homeschool Teacher Appreciation Day by Apologia – there are still many freebies and giveaways (including our Art for All Ages curriculum bundle and American Landmarks books – but hurry – the giveaway ends tonight!)
- Helpful Homeschool Habits for Standardized Testing
And this photo just seems like a few weeks ago…
I never tire of these wise words I turn to several times throughout the homeschool year. Pressing on, moving forward:
“You can’t change what you have or haven’t done over the past year. Just start where you are, ask the Lord to make you a “joyful mother of children,” pray for grace and wisdom (and strength and patience), and move forward.” ~ Vicki Bentley, HSLDA and Everyday Homemaking
Many thanks to these kind hostesses (I’m linking up!):
- Collage Friday – Homegrown Learners
- Finishing Strong – Homeschooling the Middle & High School Years
- Weekly Wrap Up – Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers
How are YOU pressing on?
(and have you subscribed to Hodgepodge?)