You can have just as you want it when you are by yourself years from now.
Nana said it. She was across the room, straightening a bookshelf. I sat underneath the kitchen table, amazed and saying out loud that I’d not noticed all those splatters on the chair legs. Asking her how I’d missed it.
But she’s right. And her one sentence turned my thinking around. Her words helped remind me that I want the splatters, just as they are.
The sopping towel left after the shower? Yes, even this can be counted a gift. Five children are a lot to clean up after. But they are a whole lot more of a blessing. There will be days in my future when everything might be in its place. These full days I’ll count the mess as a gift.
I have it just as I want it.
Counting messy gifts of a busy household plus…
- celebrating birthday girl. Ladies luncheon!
- Baby niece grins!!!! Sunday afternoon with family.
- Leaves dropping, swirling, a few changing.
- Sleeping with the windows open.
- Texts from a friend across the country in the middle of the day just when I’m needing a fellow mama break.
- Children excited about choir, musicals and activities to look forward to.
- Teenage insights.
“You don’t even know what tomorrow will bring – what your life will be! For you are like smoke that appears for a little while, then vanishes.” James 4:14