We had so much fun creating artwork with one of our favorite children’s books, My Blue Boat, we thought we’d continue on with Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes! Pete the Cat is a repeated bedtime reading – especially with our younger two. So let’s have some Pete the Cat chalk pastel fun in the style of artist James Dean.
I love my white shoes, I love my white shoes…
Pete the Cat Chalk Pastel Fun
“Oh no! Pete stepped in a big pile of strawberries” (or oh no, I made a pastel mark I didn’t mean to)…
“Was Pete sad? Goodness no, he just kept walking along and singing his song…” (and we’d just smudge the unwanted mark, layer and adjust. We just kept looking at the Pete the Cat cover and drawing our cats.)
Nana studied the back of the Pete the Cat book and sketched off part of Pete’s face for Lil’ Buddy. He then blended the pastels with his finger, filling in Pete’s face. Just a little bit more time with art each time and he is growing a love. He’s told me the past two afternoons, “Mama, I want to paint!”
And we just enjoyed this time drawing Pete the Cat by looking at the cover, noticing the details, and creating them with chalk pastels. It was fun making the curve of Pete’s tail. The yellow of his eyes. Those long whiskers. And, of course, we loved drawing the white shoes!
Because it’s all good.
Nana’s video art lesson of Pete the Cat in the style of artist James Dean.
- Pete the Cat – Free song and story download available on the Harper Collins Children’s Book site.
- Find even more Pete the Cat books at your local library or browse the Pete the Cat Series at Amazon (affilate link)
[amazon_image id=”0061906220″ link=”true” target=”_blank” size=”medium” ]Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes[/amazon_image]
Featuring You! You ARE an Artist!
Do you and your children learn best with video art tutorials? You might like our Video Art Courses.
Free eBook and More!
- Get your FREE ebook! Getting Started in Chalk Pastel Art.
- See how you can get started in just three steps! Watch the one minute You ARE an Artist video at chalkpastel.com
- A note on chalk pastels: Pastels are an easy, forgiving medium. Fun for children and adults alike! Details on the pastels and paper we use, how and where to purchase, and links to all of Nana’s other pastel lessons are here: 100+ Free Art Lessons for All Ages plus the video The Very Few Must Have Supplies for Chalk Pastel Art. A simple set is very affordable. Nana also teaches acrylic lessons.
- The practical aspects of a mess: Pastels are blessedly messy. We always have baby wipes close by to wipe hands. We wear something we don’t mind getting stained or don a smock.
- Encouragement: You Can Be an Artist! 10 Day series and Art for All Ages 10 Day series
- Be sure to subscribe to our Hodgepodge YouTube channel for free video art tutorials!
Are you a Pete the Cat fan too?
-originally published July 2012