Don’t you love Thanksgiving? Our celebration is practical, simple and fun. I’m sharing our chalkboard menu with you today along with a few tips I’ve learned along the way. I like to ease into the holidays, spreading preparations over several days. Below are our favorite annual recipes:
- Overnight Turkey (Easy, Delicious and Always Moist!) Be sure to take your turkey out of the fridge several days before! I’m pulling mine out this weekend.
- Slow Cooker Cornbread Dressing (minus the chicken for this meal)
- Sweet Potato Casserole (allergy-friendly version of Cousin Sally’s recipe. Topped with cornflakes rather than pecans)
- Nana’s Squash Casserole
- Mashed potatoes – pulled from the freezer, thanks to my $5 Dinner October Potatofest
- Field peas
- cranberry sauce out of the can
- Brittney’s Biscuits
- Nana’s Sweet Potato Pie
- Faux Pecan Pie (made with pretzels! allergy-friendly for Littlest Girl)
Preparation tips to keep it simple:
- Lots of Thanksgiving Tips I’m Thankful For at Habits for a Happy Home
- Making these notes to myself following Kendra’s Note to Self
- Holiday edition of Heart of the Matter digital magazine
- We use pretty paper products. I found some this year for just 75 cents!
All of these recipes we enjoy after the children lead us in our Homeschool Unit Celebration!
How about you? What are your traditions? And, do you prefer pumpkin or sweet potato pie?