Thanksgiving may be a challenge if your family has allergies. Here is a simple Thanksgiving menu, allergy-friendly and adaptable for the whole family with tips for prep and more. We like to keep things simple, easy and doable so that the focus is truly on enjoying family and giving thanks for God’s blessings.
Don’t you love Thanksgiving? Our celebration is practical, simple and fun. I’m sharing our chalkboard menu with you along with a few tips I’ve learned along the way. I like to ease into the holidays, spreading preparations over several days. Below are our favorite annual Thanksgiving recipes.
Simple Thanksgiving Menu, Tips and Allergy Friendliness
- Overnight Turkey (Easy, Delicious and Always Moist!) Be sure to take your turkey out of the fridge several days before! We have loved this Southern Plate recipe for many years.
- Slow Cooker Cornbread Dressing (minus the chicken for this meal). This makes a good amount for a simple Thanksgiving menu.
- Grandpa’s Asparagus Casserole – when our children were younger, this is how we were able to sneak in some green veggies on Thanksgiving.
- Sweet Potato Casserole (allergy-friendly version of Cousin Sally’s recipe. Topped with cornflakes rather than pecans) You might also like Kim’s Yam Casserole Recipe.
- Nana’s Squash Casserole – this is so good!
- Mashed potatoes – pulled from the freezer, thanks to my $5 Dinner October Potatofest
- Field peas
- cranberry sauce out of the can
- Brittney’s Biscuits
- Nana’s Sweet Potato Pie
- Faux Pecan Pie (made with pretzels! allergy-friendly for Littlest Girl)
Preparation tips to keep it simple:
- Lots of Thanksgiving Tips I’m Thankful For at Habits for a Happy Home
- Making these notes to myself following Kendra’s Note to Self
- We use pretty paper products. I found some this year for just 75 cents!
All of these recipes we enjoy after the children lead us in our Homeschool Unit Celebration!
How about you? Do you have a simple Thanksgiving menu? What are your traditions? And, do you prefer pumpkin or sweet potato pie? Stuffing or dressing?