Long ago, I made my brownies from one of those mixes you can buy at the store. And I was content, until I found this recipe. It takes about the same amount of time as using a mix, maybe 5 minutes longer to melt the butter. It tastes immensely better…like chocolate, butter, and sugar should taste! If you are a “brownies from a box” type of person, please give these a try. You may never go back again!
Delightfully Delicious Brownies
1) Melt 2 sticks of butter. I do not currently have a working microwave, so I use a medium saucepan turned on low heat. Please do not use margarine… your brownies will not taste as good! And you won’t be helping any cows keep their jobs.
2) Next comes the chocolate. You have 2 choices: 1) Melt 4 squares of unsweetened chocolate along with the butter. This is the more expensive choice. 2) After melting the butter, add 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa. I usually have cocoa in my cupboard, not baking chocolate, so I prefer choice #2. My favorite cocoa to use for baking is Ghiradelli, but for my nut-allergy friends, I use Hershey’s, which is also good.
3) Now, add 2 cups sugar, 3 eggs (best if you let them get to room temperature first, but who remembers that?), and 2 teaspoons vanilla. I mix this all up in the original saucepan I melted the butter in. Less dishes to wash! Use a whisk to beat it together lightly.
4) Here is the best part! Coffee! Not too much, and you can leave it out if you want to. But I wouldn’t. Just splash in about 2 tablespoons of this morning’s leftover coffee from your coffeepot. Or, pour 1 tablespoon boiling water over 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules, mix, and add. This is the stronger version, and the one I prefer. Coffee really brings out the flavor of chocolate.
6) Pull your 8×8 or 9×9 pan out of the cupboard, and grease it. Again, no cooking spray… please use butter! The flavor is so much more intense. You don’t want someone to think of plastic when they taste your brownies. Pour the mix into the pan. It should be full…this is good. I would rather have 16 brownies nice and thick than 32 that are thin. I’d have to eat more that way, and that wouldn’t be good for my figure. So use your square pan, not your 13×9.
7) Bake for 25-40 min. at 350. It really depends on your oven and your preference…I like my brownies slightly gooey. We usually eat them with forks. Usually…sometimes we scarf them right out of the pan with our bare hands. There are a lot of chocoholics in this household!
One more thing… I recommend you don’t wait until 9:00 at night and make these with your husband when the kids are in bed. Make them right now, while the kids are still up, so they can share all the fat and calories with you. Enjoy, and be praised for the rest of the day by your adoring husband and children.
Wife and homeschooling mother of three, Kim enjoys reading, writing, and watching old movies. A self-proclaimed chocoholic, she also loves to cook and bake. You can find more of her musings (and recipes) at thedaisymuse.com.