Often when we share a chalk art tutorial, we get a question about the chalk pastels we love to use. Recently, a reader asked what chalk pastels we recommend when we shared one of our fun, time lapse tutorial videos on instagram. (Have you seen those? A tutorial in about 11 seconds!)
~ This post contains affiliate links to art supplies we adore. If you click on them, you won’t pay anything extra but you will help us continue to offer art tutorials for free. Thanks for that!
Since we have been sharing chalk pastel art tutorials, we have always suggested starting with the student grade alphacolor set of 12 pastel sticks. A starter set is currently $6.40. You can get these at your local arts and crafts store, like Michael’s. This student grade starter set is what we started with and shared amongst our five children. You can even break a chalk pastel stick in half to share. Chalk pastels are frugal!
We are the proud owner of the big basic set of 144 chalks (pictured above). But in our defense, we are a class of five students and two teachers who love to haul out our pastels when the artistic vibe reaches out to us!
More Chalk Pastel Art Resources
- 100+ Free Art Lessons for All Ages
- The Very Few Must Have Chalk Pastel Supplies (hint – just add chalk pastels and paper!)
- Chalk Pastel Cleaning and Storage
- How to Plan Simple Afternoon Art Projects
- How to Do Art in 5-10 Minutes
- How to Start Art with Young Children
- How to Deal with the Chalk Pastel Mess
What questions do you have about chalk pastel art?