Here at Hodgepodge, we are on a mission to share just how easy and fun chalk pastel art is! We welcome you to this 10 day series of Art for All Ages: Tips and Tutorials. Nana (Lucia Hames) and I will be sharing all sorts of free tutorials, art techniques and encouragement. What we share here you can use for all your children – and your fellow adults alike! We also thought you might like to hear from some others who have tried the tutorials. What other families, like you, have to say…
“Easy enough for your smallest one that is able to hold a piece of chalk, challenging enough for high schoolers and adults. No need for expensive supplies – head to your local mart or craft store and get the chalk that fits your budget… Go- This. Will. Bless. Your. Family this fall. I Promise! Nana and Tricia do all the work, you just gather your little ones.” ~ Angie at Petra School
~this post contains affiliate links to art supplies we use and love! Please see our disclosure policy~
But before we go any further, we thought you might be eager to get started. Get your
How to Draw a Pumpkin in Less Than a Minute!
A Simple Start in Chalk Pastels – How to Get Started
Just HOW to get started? Start here –> The Very Few Must Have Supplies for Chalk Pastel Art (with a fall tree video tutorial)
I see one of Nana’s pastel art lessons and I think to myself, “that looks easy enough for me to do”. So I pull out the pastels and the boys and I do art. One boy in particular has a fascination with pastels so it brings great joy to his heart. It has been a time of pulling us together and pulling our noses out of the books while enjoying something new together. We have had our pastels sitting in a box for 2-3 years because I was always too intimidated to give them a try. Then I saw the video on the fall tree and when Nana broke that chalk it literally hurt my chest. I know, it’s ok… the art lessons are bringing me liberty in those areas too. I broke a piece of chalk in front of my boys and told them to do the same – they just looked at me. Finally, one of them broke a piece of chalk then another and then laughter abounded! It was a beautiful thing. ~ Summer Dossey
- What Others are Saying
- 50+ Free Chalk Pastel Art Tutorials
- You CAN Be An Artist 10 Day series
- Inspirational Art Quotes
Here’s what you can expect over the next two weeks! (Each link will be live on the day it is scheduled)
Art for All Ages: Tips and Tutorials
- Your First Easy Lesson in Chalk Pastel Art
- How to Make Sky and Clouds in Chalk Pastels
- But Chalk Pastels Get Everywhere!
- Fistin’ Technique with Chalk Pastels (with tutorial)
- What is Painterly Effect in Chalk Pastel Art? (with tutorial)
- Train Your Students to See Nature
- Chalk Pastel Art Tutorial
- Art is For Parents too!
- The Ultimate List of Art Fun and Encouragement
More on Chalk Pastels
- You might like to try our Columbus Sailed the Ocean Blue Chalk Pastel tutorial in celebration of Columbus Day today!
- A note on chalk pastels: Pastels are an easy, forgiving medium. Fun for children and adults alike! Details on the pastels and paper we use, how and where to purchase, and links to all of Nana’s other pastel lessons (50+ free lessons now) are all contained in the post Pastels plus links to tutorials. A simple set is very affordable. View the choices in the Southern Hodgepodge store. Nana also teaches acrylic lessons.
- The practical aspects of a mess: Pastels are blessedly messy. We always have baby wipes close by to wipe hands. We wear something we don’t mind getting stained or don a smock.
- Encouragement: You Can Be an Artist! 10 Day series
- Have you subscribed to Hodgepodge on YouTube?
It’s an autumn hopscotch with iHomeschool Network! Be sure to visit all the wonderful bloggers! It’s a fabulous page full of categories and 10 days worth of topics!
**Thanks for joining us on this first day of Art for All Ages. We invite you to subscribe to Hodgepodge via email so you won’t miss any free tutorials! You can also join us and help spread the word about our 10 day series on Pinterest, YouTube, Google +, Facebook and Twitter. Thanks in advance for helping Hodgepodge.**
Be sure to let us know if you tried one of the chalk pastel tutorials in less than a minute! What questions do you have about chalk pastel art?