Heaven came down and glory filled my soul, When at the cross the Savior made me whole…
I’ve always loved the old hymns. Like many, I was fortunate to be raised on them. They are a part of me. But lately, I’ve made sure I spend part of my morning quiet time flipping through that hymnal. Pausing on a favorite. Remembering the chorus of another. Each holds such wonderful truths.
Most have the ability to transport me back to a specific time and place. When I sing Because He Lives, I can hear the organ, see that tall ceiling and picture in my mind the gorgeous stained glass of the church I grew up in.
Yesterday, I posted this excerpt as my status…
At the cross, at the cross where I first saw the light,
And the burden of my heart rolled away,
It was there by faith I received my sight,
And now I am happy all the day!
And my brother commented, “Great hymn, one of my all time favorites! Brings back memories of Athens Y camp!”
You might not have a hymnal on your end table but you can turn to these resources:
- Net Hymnal – search hymns online by title, first line or chorus.
- Sacred Favorites – I found via Sky Angel TV. Listen online to great hymns, Bible studies and more.
- Hymns Triumphant – a favorite, two volume CD set in our iTunes collection. The link will take you to the description and you can listen to excerpts as well. Or download in iTunes.
…Blessings all mine with ten thousand beside!
- You may also like 5 Ways to Weave Hymns into Your Days.
- I often share a hymn on my Instagram account. Christmas carols during December!
How about you? What is your favorite hymn?