This past Saturday was another impromptu batch cooking day. Saturday morning I made a double batch of pancakes while we were having an easy-going morning. The benefits of the batch resulted in two gallon-sized freezer bags stacked full of pancakes.
Then, after Hodgepodgedad’s trip to the grocery, I found myself blessed with six pounds of ground turkey. I slid one package into the slow cooker. That is because slow cooker batch cooking is the super supper saver.
A little bit of batch cooking seems to fit nicely into part of my Saturdays.
The Two Week Menu
Simple suppers supplemented with garden veggies, fruits and Cooking Fun desserts:
- not-your-average sloppy joes (meat from freezer)
- bean burritos + any leftover sloppy joe meat (beans from another batch cooking session)
- pigs in a blanket (cooking fun)
- breakfast for supper: ezekiel bread or pancakes from the freezer, yogurt smoothies
- french bread pizzas for a Friday night
- Fast Food for Slow Sundays: whole chicken in slow cooker – rotisserie style
- spaghetti, homemade bread
- Southern Living’s slow cooker king ranch chicken with leftover chicken from rotisserie
- $5 Dinners slow cooker mac and cheese, veggies
- breakfast for supper – biscuits and gravy, turkey bacon, iced coffee
- pizza bites on a Friday night
- Requested BD supper – black-eyed peas, slow cooker mac and cheese, watermelon
- spaghetti with Jenny’s Pink Sauce, salad, garlic bread
Cooking Fun: For a birthday – funfetti cake w/ strawberry icing; SunButter dip to go with – anything! plus other selections from a Month of Cooking Fun.
So, do you like to tuck meals in your freezer to be ready for back to school time?