How to get started? That is the question! Just how to get started in chalk pastel art? First, I will share the three simple steps.
A Simple Start in Chalk Pastels
To get started, you just need three simple steps. 1, 2, 3
(1) Chalk pastels, (2) paper and (3) tutorials. That is it! (We will talk in more detail about these supplies tomorrow).
How to Get Started in Chalk Pastel Art – in One Minute
Next, let us show you some examples of just how to get started. Since Nana and I can’t come to your house and show you how much fun chalk pastels are, we have made several videos. First, take a look at this You ARE an Artist video. It’s only one minute!
Nana’s advice is to start with simple landscapes or shapes. Both A Path to the Beach (which was our very first chalk pastel tutorial) and An Apple in One Minute are great places to start. Browse the step by step tutorial of a A Path to the Beach and be sure to watch the one minute apples chalk pastel challenge, below. These are great places to get started!
Be sure to try more free videos in a range of topics.
And you will want to subscribe so you won’t miss any new video tutorials!
Free for You – Getting Started in Chalk Pastel Art
We also have an absolutely free set of video art lessons for you, Get Started in Chalk Pastel Art. Plus the accompanying free ebook download is packed full of encouragement, how tos, tutorials and a coupon code too.
Now that we have shown you how, you simply need to practice. Here are some ideas to spur you on! More on the art of practicing in Just Practice.
- Set aside some time after lunch one day. How to art in 5-10 minutes!
- Plan for a Friday art afternoon (Declare an extras day) or make art part of your morning basket time.
- Browse our 100+ free art tutorials and pick a favorite topic! Do you have an artist that loves trains? A scene from Tangled? What about painting a pet portrait?
- Combine science and art with our space chalk tutorials. We know there are Star Wars fans out there!
- Combine art and literature – we have a whole list for chalk pastels and children’s books.
- Celebrate a holiday – Valentine’s Day, Easter, Christmas, Thanksgiving or any patriotic holiday.
- Here are 10 Ways to Make Art Easy.
Once you finish your art time, snap a picture. Tag @ChalkPastelArt and/or use the hashtag #YouAREanArtist on social media. Let us comment and reshare your art work on social media or our Art Tutorial Pinterest board.
Five Days of Chalk Pastel 101
(links will be live as each post publishes)
- You ARE an Artist: Chalk Pastel Art 101
- You ARE an Artist: How to Get Started
- You ARE an Artist: Chalk Pastel Supplies
- You ARE an Artist: Chalk Pastels for All Ages
- Chalk Pastel Art Frequently Asked Questions
“All of us are born with talent…an inbred wiring to create. As parents, grandparents and teachers, tapping this talent and helping students reach a rich satisfaction with creation of art is our goal! If you pick up a brush, pen, pastel chalk…or use your finger for glorious finger painting (which is a child’s most favorite way to paint) you become an artist.” ~Nana